Very Short Answer Type Questions
- Name one cricket ground that is oval in shape.
Ans. Adelaide Oval cricket ground is oval in shape.
- Mention the year when the cricket rules were written for the first time
Ans. Cricket rules were written for the first time in 1744.
- State two changes that were seen in the game of cricket around 1780.
Ans. By 1780, a Test match was played for average three days. It was also the period when the first six-seam cricket ball was created.
- The game of cricket traces its origin from where?
Ans. The game of cricket traces its origin from rural England.
- Where and by which community cricket was initially played in India?
Ans. Cricket was initially played in Bombay by the Parsi community.
Short Answer Type Questions
- What are the changes the cricket bat has undergone with time?
Ans. Initially the cricket bat was similar to the shape of hockey bat because the ball was bowled underarm. The bowlers then began to pitch the ball through the air rather than rolling it on ground. The curved bats were then replaced by the straight ones, Initially the bat was made by a single piece of Wood. These days it consists of two pieces. The blade is made of willow wood while the handle is of cane.
- CK Nayudu name is recorded in the history of cricket. What are the reasons that make him a legend?
Ans. CK Nayudu is revered because he was an outstanding batsman. He was one of the few initial Indian cricketers who got to play the test match cricket. Nayudu created history by becoming the first captain of the Indian Test team.
Long Answer Type Questions
- During the 1760 and 1770s, it became common to pitch the ball through the air. What changes it brought in to the game of cricket?
Ans. Following the above mentioned trend, one immediate change was the replacement of the curved bats by the straight ones. The bowlers got the options of length, deception through air and increased pace because of this. It opened new possibilities for spin and swing bowling. In response to tricks applied by the bowlers, the batsmen had to improve their tìmings and shot selection.
- Explain elaborately India’s dominance in the world cricket today.
Ans. India has the largest viewership for the game of cricket among all the test playing nations. It is also the largest market in the cricketing world. It has made the centre of gravity to shift towards South Asia from the country it originated.
The ICC headquarters too were shifted from London to Dubai where it is tax-free. The Indian cricket players are the best paid in the international cricket. They are famous and have got millions of supporters.