Read and Find Out
1.Why was the 20th century called the ‘Era of the Book’?
Answer: There were books for everything, from anteaters to Zulus. Books taught people what to do, how to do, when to do and why to do. They explained, educated, directed and decorated. No wonder that it was called the era of books.
2. Who tried to invent the earth in the 21st century?
Answer: Martians tried to invade the earth in the 21st century.
3. What guesses are made by Think-Tank about the books found on earth?
Answer: Think-Tank first guesses them to be sandwiches. Then he calls them communication devices. After that he thinks them to be some kind of eye communication devices that have to be watched.
Think About It
1. Noodle avoids offending Think-Tank but at the same time he corrects his mistakes. How does he manage to do that?
Answer: Noodle avoids offending Think-Tank while correcting his mistakes by presenting his own thoughts, but referring to them as being of no particular importance. Whenever he had to say something contrary to what Think-Tank said, he would do this. In this way he would correct Think-Tank’s errors without making Think-Tank feel that he was being corrected.
2. If you were in Noodle’s place, how would you handle Think-Tank’s mistakes?
Answer: If I were in his place I would have done the same. I would have politely and gently suggested the correction.
3. Do you think books are being replaced by the electronic media? Can we do away with books altogether?
Answer: Yes, these days online reading has replaced traditional books to a large extent. Internet, facebook, twitter etc, have decreased interest in reading. But the truth is that books cannot be totally replaced. Books can never go out of life also they may exist in a different form.
4. Why are books referred to as a man’s best companion? Which is your favourite book and why? Write a paragraph about the book.
Answer: A book is a man’s best companion because it is always there. It never leaves us alone. It is there with us even when everyone else is gone. Books guide us, instruct us, make us laugh, inform us, inspire us and are always true to us. My favourite book is Peter Pan. It is a fairy tale. I love the character of Peter. He lives in fantasies. He is a child who never wants to grow up and never does. He enjoys thrills and adventures and even takes the kids from Earth on a merry adventure. The book inspires as it shows that one can remain a child at heart forever. The sense of wonder, innocence, purity and joy and a capacity to dream can stay in the human heart forever.
Talk About It
1. In what ways does Think-Tank misinterpret innocent nursery rhymes as threats to the Martians? Can you think of any incident where you misinterpreted a word or an action? How did you resolve the misunderstanding?
Answer: The words like ‘shell’, ‘silver’ make Think-Tank think that humans grew them in farms. Then, there is a line about ‘cow’ and ‘moon’. Also, the picture of Humpty-Dumpty and the rhyme of ‘great fall’ make Think-Tank think that humans were about to invade Mars. Yes, I had a similar misunderstanding with a friend. But, I was fortunate and I got to know the actual truth just in time. I did not believe what I had heard earlier.