Formal Letter Format
These letters are written to post holding persons/ a person who holds a designation like Postmaster, Health Inspector, Police Superintendent, Newspaper Editor, Station Master, School Principal, Municipal Corporation Chairman etc.
These letters are written in a crisp and clear pattern and a matter of fact style. These letters can be written to an individual/firm. The language is formal, straightforward and to the point.
Different Kinds of Formal Letters
Business Letters : These include letters of enquiry/asking for information, replying to letters received, placing orders and sending acknowledgement, cancelling orders.
Official Letters : These include letters of complaint, making enquiries, making requests/appeals.
Letter to the Editor : To give suggestions on a public interest issue.
Letter to Job Application : This written to apply for job. A bio-data is enclosed focusing on qualifications and skills.
Letter to the Principal : This is written to request for permission, leave, to make a complaint etc.
Purpose of Writing Formal Letters
The main purpose of writing a formal letter are:
- to voice your opinion in case of Letter to the Editor.
- to get your problems addressed.
- to inform.
- to complain about or against someone. Many complaints are validated by recording facts in letters.
- to place an order, seek information, enquire, send reply, sell products etc.
Things to keep in mind while writing a Formal Letter
An individual should keep the following points in his/her mind while writing formal letters/official letters.
- Be polite and formal.
- It should start by introducing yourself and describing the purpose of writing.
- Briefly describe about what you want to convey through the letter, give complete information along with necessary details like date, reference number, etc.
- Conclude with a hope/appeal/warning/suggestion, as required.
- If you are writing to an authority about a problem in your area, briefly give its details and seek or suggest a solution.
- In Letter to the Editor, do not ask the Editor to solve your problem. He/She can only give voice to your opinion, views, suggestions etc.
- Word limit of 150-200 words should be kept in mind.