Comprehension Check (NCERT Page 69)
- How does Tilloo manage to find his way to the forbidden passage’?
Ans. Tilloo uses the time of his father’s afternoon siesta as an opportunity to steal the security card and manage his way to the ‘forbidden passage.’
- What did Tilloo hope to see once he emerged from his underground home?
Ans. Tilloo hoped to see the Sun or the stars, depending on whether it was day or night. Tilloo had heard a lot about the Sun and the stars, but had never seen them.
- Why did Tilloo’s father advise him not to try to reach the surface of the planet?
Ans. Tilloo’s father advised him not to try to reach the surface of the planet for several reasons. There was a very thin layer of air on the surface of the planet. Breathing was difficult, if one did not carry an extra reservoir of oxygen. The low temperature on the surface also made survival difficult. A special suit and training was required to survive on the surface of the planet.
- What changes had occurred, which forced people to live in underground homes?
Ans. The Sun, which was significant for sustenance had turned hostile. Though Sun had changed only slightly, the change had led to drastic changes, upsetting the balance of nature.
Comprehension Check (NCERT Page 71)
- Why was everyone in the Control Room greatly excited?
Ans. People in the Control Room were excited because of the appearance of a dot on the otherwise clear background. People in the Control Room believed it to be a spacecraft.
- Was the spacecraft manned or unmanned? How do you know it?
Ans. For the people in the Control Room it was almost impossible to find out if the spacecraft was manned or unmanned. However, soon they got reports that said that the spacecraft contained no living beings but only instruments.
- What did Number One and Number Two suggest should be done about the alien spacecraft?
Ans. Number One suggested that the spacecraft should be rendered ineffective once it land on the surface of the planet. Number Two, however, recommended a passive observation, since the power of the sender of the spacecraft was not known.
Comprehension Check (NCERT Page 73)
- What do you think the mechanical hand was trying to do?
Ans. The mechanical hand was trying to collect the samples of the Martian soil that could be examined by the scientists at NASA.
- Tilloo pressed the red button and “the damage was done”. What was the damage?
Ans. Tilloo pressing the red button resulted in the mechanical hand ceasing to work.
- Where had the spacecraft come from?
Ans. The spacecraft had come from the Earth. It was sent by a team of scientists at NASA.
- On which planet do Tilloo and his parents live?
Ans. Tilloo and his parents lived on Mars. However, due to hostile conditions they lived underground.
Exercises (NCERT Page 73)
Discuss the following topics in groups.
- If you had to live in a home like Tilloo’s, what parts of life would you find most difficult? What compensations might there be?
Ans. Since, Tilloo and his family lived underground, their house natural light of the Sun. They sustained themselves through the solar energy they were able to generate. Also, being able to roam around freely would be difficult. The only compensation for this kind of a life would be a good understanding of cience and technology, since there life is governed by such advancements.
- What, if anything, might drive mankind to make their homes underground?
Ans. Tilloo’s father recalled how their ancestors lived naturally on the surface of the planet.
A change in Sun, however, led to drastic changes. It is possible that our planet, too, encounters such changes.
- Do you think there is life on other planets? Can you guess what kind of people there may be on them? In what ways are they likely to be different from us?
Ans. Yes, It is quite possible that there is life on other planets too. The chapter very ironically showcases this perspective. The team of scientists working on the Martian soil samples failed to find life on Mars, while Tilloo and his family existed.
Our solar system is just one of the solar systems. It is possible that life on other planets exists, but we have not been successful in getting any knowledge about it.
People living on other planets could be different because of the distance and physical differences from the Sun.